Composed between 1850 and 1851, Verdi's Rigoletto is a twisted tale of lust, desire, love and deceit.
“As in all other operas” one may say. Yes, but yet there is something making Rigoletto distinctly modern for those times.
In the vast majority of operas before this one, and in general, evil characters are repulsive and good characters are attractive.
In Verdi’s opera, however, there are none who are either completely good or evil.Rigoletto, a hunchback with questionable virtues, loves his daughter and wants to protect her but takes every stab he can at the nobles. The Duke is physically attractive but goes from woman to woman enjoying his decadent lifestyle. Gilda, the daughter that Rigoletto so loved, killed herself to save the life of the Duke, even after she saw that he was not loyal to her.
This sort of moral ambiguity is perhaps more realistic but was not ordinary in art of that time period, making Rigoletto one of the first truly modern works.
More than 150 years have passed and we still face the same dilemmas. Our society requires of us to keep striving forward, ever moving in order to get something ultimately unattainable: the realization of our dreams. And in this pursuit we face moral issues as well. This is when a dream becomes a nightmare.
Follow the modern story of a dreaming dancer and a dream-maker as their actions are closely intertwined with the characters from the opera.
Maybe everything is just what it is: a dream.
And maybe you are not reading this.
• Rigoletto利哥莱托： Mauro Bonfanti [意] （Baritone男中音）
• Duke of Mantua曼图亚公爵：Marco Voleri [意]（Tenor男高音）
• Gilda吉尔达： Nan Zheng郑楠 （Soprano女高音）
• Maddalena马德莱娜： Hongling Guo 郭虹伶 （Contralto女中音）
• God of Dream梦神：Mattia Romeo（罗密欧） [意]
• Pianist钢琴师: Gioele Muglialdo [意]
• 柏林Leading dancer：Yiwen Xia 夏一雯
• 领舞Leading dancer：Shiming Wan 万诗铭
• Dancers舞者：Students of the Xinghai Conservatory of Music 星海音乐学院舞蹈系
• 总导演Director：龙云娜 Yunna Long
• 执行导演Executive Director：黄乃曦 Chrifton Huang
• 剧本改编Playwright：卢小狼 Xiaolang Lu
• 作曲&音乐制作Music Composition and Production：姚春旸 Chunyang Yao、乌拉多恩（吴火火）Wula duoen
• 混音Mix：赵公炜Gongwei Zhao
• 服装设计Costume Designer：Leo Chang 张秉丰
• 舞蹈编排Choreographers：龙云娜 Yunna Long 、谭洪涛 Hongtao Tan、全体舞者 All dancers